These units (SLIs) are prepared to control LEDs in game, almost any game (racing related).
This particular model has been discontinued.
“What is this?“
This gives you the optimal point to change gears in racing games. The leds start turning on and when they reach a certain limit, by flashing, that is the best time for shifting!
- 13 bright RPM LEDs across the top (4 green, 5 red and 4 blue)
- 6 bright warning LEDs (clusters of 3, below main array of Leds)
- Central gear indicator
- 5 additional LEDS can also be connected.
- 16 button / 8 rotary encoder inputs
- Length – 4″ / 102mm
- Width – 1.2″ / 30mm
- Height(with USB and pin headers) – 0.84″ / 21.3mm
- Height(without USB and pin headers) – 0.48″ / 12.2mm
Mounting Screw Hole Size;
- M2.5 or #3-56
SLI- M will NOT work on PlayStation or Xbox.
Recommended Wire Size;
- 24AWG to 20AWG
Powered by USB (+5V – 500mA) so no external power supply is needed.
It will be recognized as a generic game device named – SLI-M. No drivers are required.
You might find more software applications that work with this unit.
You cannot assign any functions to the main LED array; the 13 across the top.
11 of them can be changed: the cluster of 3, on each side of the gear display and the 5 extra leds that can be connected to the board; these can be assigned for flags, KERS, etc.
For the 13 main leds, you can select the revled style, with 8 available options on Fanaleds.
Global brightness can be adjusted for all the LEDs. Global, not independent LED brightness.
SimSLI is not as detailed as Fanaleds because it seems that its development is stationary, but either one will work fine.
Hardware / Connections;
- Pushbuttons / Rotary encoders
- Push buttons up to 16 of them.
- Rotary encoders up to 8 of them.
SLI-M Works on: See the list here, on “more details”!
Now that the unit specs are done, let´s address functionality:
Just plug and play!¹
¹ you need a program being run, ex. Fanaleds or SimSLI. It is quite probable that if you are using Fanaleds or alike program it boots with windows so it´s always ready to play. There is no need to launch other programs just for a specific item. That is nice.
Five (5) extra LEDs can be connected to this unit; any size as long they are up to 4v.
Above 2 pictures serve as an example of types of leds used.
The most difficult part of this item is the not so abundant enclosures for this unit.
There was one from Sim Racing Hardware for the Fanatec Porsche GT3 Rs V2 and GT2 racing wheels. Watch a review here.
Remember, you can connect up to 16 push buttons and 5 extra LEDs: What kind of enclosure will you be using in front of you, or on the wheel?
It might get big, the enclosure, if you intend to make use of all inputs. It is also a pity to leave those inputs unused!
Good quality board (shift light array and display). It features ultra bright leds, a good chip, compatibility with most games and easy to use software for controlling the leds. It costed 50 pounds (shipping not included).
Bringing it it all together:
- Additional inputs available (16 button / 8 rotary encoder inputs) + (5 extra Leds)
- Free, good software available for controlling Leds and other functions (Fanaleds/ SimSLI)
- High quality components
- No external power supply needed
- No drivers required
- Small dimensions of the unit
- No decent enclosures available